Advance CTC Payments
During the last half of 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) provided payments to families with qualifying children under age 18 up to:
- $300 per month for children age 5 and under and
- $250 per month for children age 6 to 17
Reporting the advance payments when filing a 2021 tax return
- Beginning December 22, the IRS will send Letter 6419 to each recipient. It provides their total advance CTC payments disbursed during 2021.
- Recipients should keep this letter with their tax records.
- Accurately reporting the amount received reduces errors and processing delays when filing a 2021 tax return.
Currently, you can use the Child Tax Credit Update Portal to view your payments. On the Update Portal, Click “Manage Advance Payments” (you will be asked to sign in or create an IRS account with ID.me):
It’s Not Too Late!
If you did not sign up in time for monthly payments in 2021, or if you did not receive the full amount you qualify for, you will receive the full benefit when you file your taxes in 2022.
- The full 2021 Child Tax Credit is:
- $3,600 per dependent child age 5 and under, and
- $3,000 per dependent child age 6 through 17
*These changes apply to tax year 2021 only.
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible for Child Tax Credit payments even if you have not filed taxes recently. Not everyone is required to file taxes.
Use the IRS Eligibility Assistant!
For Additional Information
Visit www.IRS.gov for common frequently asked questions.
At Security Finance, we have a variety of tax-preparation services available to help you get through tax season with much less stress. Our tax-preparation specialists are ready to answer your tax questions and help you file, including amended returns and prior year returns. You can schedule an appointment online for curbside service.
Want to learn more or get started on tax preparation? Check out our Security Finance Tax Preparation page.